Monday, June 1, 2009

Voice Lessons

I overheard a conversation at work a couple of weeks ago. Rather, I overheard a tone...you know the one. It's the one from which you hear snatches such as these: "And can you believe...[murmur, murmur, murmur, tsk!]. Well I never! [low tones, low tones..... build....and] REALLY! And did you know she... [secret, secret, eye roll]. I know I would never... [condemn condemn condemn]." It's not the kind of conversation in which you expect to hear a person's highest points acclaimed. I thought at that moment that if I could work out a way to never again hear my voice use those tones in that order, I would somehow have broken the mold. Along with all of the beauty and grace and gentleness associated with womanhood, there is also the gossip and the nag. This frustrates me.

Last week I was in a place of worship. It was clean and beautiful and the people inside were dressed simply and beautifully. As I sat pondering, I decided to tune into tone again. I listened to these tones in comparison to the tones I'd heard before. They were different. They were subdued and gentle. Because there was very little talking at all, the talking that was done was important. Couples and families and loved ones spoke of that which was most important and uplifting. They were likely speaking of children they loved, close ones they worried for, and love they shared. They were talking with the intent to help and hope for and heal, not disgrace or put down.

In the places I feel most peace, I hear the tones described in the second paragraph of this blog. It is a goal of mine to create that same tone for my home and all places over which I have any influence. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Bryan and Lis said...

Good Luck! You can do it. I sat at work today talking with co-workers when it dawned on me that I was in the middle of one of those "hush hushy" type conversations. It's amazing how easily it happens.

Cherie said...

I love this entry Miss Rappy! I was reading a book today and the author was talking about when we use negative critism on others it is just a reflection of the things within our selves that we struggle with the most.

Kate said...

kathryn, can you please write books? seriously! i'd buy it! you take what people think and put it into words PERFECTLY! write a book. go. now.

ldb said...

Beloved Kate. Thanks for the elegant, beautiful reminder of the power of our voices. Your voice is one that has always lifted my heart and my day. Much love.

Agirelli said...

7)"For my palate in low tones utters truth itself; and wickedness is something detestable to my lips".
8)"All the sayings of my mouth are in righteousness. Among them there is nothing twisted or crooked."

Proverbs 8:7,8