Sunday, January 24, 2010

Whatnot?

I have heard the phrase, "And what not..." a couple times recently and think it is a funny one. What does it even mean? I looked it up and found out. In honor of it, I thought of other words I love that are essentially saying very little.

whatnot: any of various other things that might also be mentioned -Merriam-Webster

gobbledygook: nonsense; officialese or government gibberish -Dictionary.com

flotsam: useless or unimportant items; odds and ends -Dictionary.com

These have other definitions and context as well but it seems that these words or phrases serve to represent ideas or things even smaller than themselves (as simply a word on a page to be read). Ha!

3 comments:

nad'a said...

Love it. I'm going to giggle every time somebody says it in class now

Kristine said...

Hahaha!

Lacey Lou said...

ha ha ha! I'm going to have to listen for that and I will laugh inside and think of you! :)